Pages

Friday 20 January 2012

Cross Training and Recipe

Hope everyone is having a good week can't believe how quick the weeks seem to go by!!!I've been doing a bit of cross training, as finding running quite high impact. I actually started of as a cyclist, but picked up running at the end of last summer and I really love the both!! I am thinking of doing a duathlon in July time, I really suck majorly at swimming so thought a duathlon would be really good fun. This is me and my pride and joy




Yep anyone who knows me closely, knows me for my love of pink!! So I customised my bike with some pink handle bar covers and pink tyres and of course I go out dressed in pink. I need to be seen somehow.

I went for a fairly easy 15 mile ride with average speed around 15.8 mph, was quite pleased with that as it was so windy whilst out, and haven't been out much on my bike. I am heading for a longish ride today with a friend from a bike shop. I really need to clean my bike though its filthy!!!

Mixed Bean Cassoulet

Ingredients: 
  • tbsp olive oil or spray oil
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves chopped
  • 1 butternut squash de-seeded and cut into cubes.
  • 300ml Veg stock
  • Can of chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp of tomato puree
  • 2 bay leaves
  • fresh thyme
  • Can of butter beans
  • Can of kidney Beans
  • 2 Slices of wholemeal bread(blended into bread crumbs)
  • 30g chopped mixed nuts
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley
  1. Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius, heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion for 5-7 mins, then add the garlic and squash and cook for a further minute. Then add the stock, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, bay leaves, thyme and cans of beans. Cook for another 5 mins then transfer to a casserole dish 



The mixture will look a bit dry but the squash releases juices. I cooked it for around 40-50 minutes. Then took it out the oven and added the breadcrumbs and mixed nuts. 



Yesterday evening my boyfriend cooked me this:

Stuffed Squash with lentils and sunflower seeds and a bit of goats cheese.


Very impressed, he's not a vegetarian but knows the sort of things that I eat was really nice. 

Do you cross train? If so what do you do? 
Does your partner/ boyfriend/friends cook and eat things they don't usually eat?